Film Soundtrack Album features 12 Classic Bruce Springsteen Recordings, including
First Release of Long-Awaited Studio Track "I'll Stand By You" and Live Concert Rarities
Soundtrack Premieres "For You My Love" A New Original Song Written for the Film by Academy Award & Grammy Award-Winning Composer A.R. Rahman
New Line Cinema's Critically Acclaimed Sundance Hit "Blinded by the Light,"
Directed by Gurinder Chadha, Opening Friday, 16 August
Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack brings together 12 essential Bruce Springsteen performances ranging from greatest hits and fan favorites (Born To Run, Dancing In The Dark, Hungry Heart, Because The Night) to previously unreleased tracks, including the long-sought-after studio recording of I'll Stand By You. Also, for the first time on album, Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack presents two live rarities: the debut live performance of The River (from No Nukes '79 - Madison Square Garden, NYC - September 21, 1979) and an unforgettable acoustic solo performance of The Promised Land (Concert for Valor - The National Mall, Washington DC, November 11, 2014).
In addition to the Springsteen performances, Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack includes period tracks and dialog from the film and premieres For You My Love, a new song written for the film by soundtrack composer A.R. Rahman ("Slumdog Millionaire"). Rahman has won six National Film Awards, two Academy Awards, two Grammy Awards, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe Award, fifteen Filmfare Awards and seventeen Filmfare Awards South.
Inspired by a true story (Sarfraz Manzoor's Greetings from Bury Park: Race, Religion and Rock N' Roll) and the words and music of Bruce Springsteen, New Line Cinema's Blinded by the Light is the new coming-of-age film directed by Gurinder Chadha ("Bend It Like Beckham"). The film follows Javed (Viveik Kalra), a British teen of Pakistani descent, growing up in Luton, England in 1987. Javed's turbulent life amidst the racial and economic turmoil of the times is transformed when he is introduced to the music of Bruce Springsteen.
"As a lifelong Bruce fan, I am delighted how this soundtrack takes you through the experience of watching my movie with Springsteen music complemented by the other tracks, including very personal tracks—from my dad's favorite song to a British Bhangra anthem," said writer-director-producer Chadha. "Growing up, Sarfraz and I could never have imagined a universe where all these songs would be on one soundtrack reflecting our lives."
Chadha directed Blinded by the Light from a screenplay by Manzoor, Chadha and Paul Mayeda Berges. Chadha, Jane Barclay and Jamal Daniel produced the film, with Tory Metzger, Renee Witt, Peter Touche, Stephen Spence, Hannah Leader, Tracy Nurse, and Berges serving as executive producers.
A breakout smash at this year's Sundance Film Festival, Blinded by the Light has been hailed by critics as "a delirious and romantic rock 'n' roll parable…[an] incandescent ode to the life force of pop music" (Variety) and "pure, ingenuous joy" (Entertainment Weekly). Collider called it, "One of the year's best films" while the New York Post said, "Guaranteed to make you feel better than any other film this year." Indiewire said "Glorious" while The Wrap observed it was "Damn near irresistible."
Blinded By The Light: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Track List
· Ode To Javed/Javed's Poem – A.R. Rahman
· It's a Sin – Pet Shop Boys
· The Sun Always Shines On T.V. – a-ha
· "The Boss Of Us All" (dialogue)
· Dancing In The Dark – Bruce Springsteen
· "You Should Be Listening To Our Music" (dialogue)
· "I Never Knew Music Could Be Like This" (dialogue)
· *The River– Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (Live at Madison Square Garden, New York, NY – September 21, 1979) (previously unavailable on an album)
· "Number One Paki Film" (dialogue)
· Badlands – Bruce Springsteen
· Cover Me – Bruce Springsteen
· Thunder Road– Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (Live at The Roxy Theater, West Hollywood, CA – October 18, 1975)
· Get Outta My Way Fascist Pigs – Amer Chadha-Patel
· "Do It For Me" (dialogue)
· Prove It All Night – Bruce Springsteen
· Hungry Heart – Bruce Springsteen
· "You, Me…and Bruce" (dialogue)
· Because The Night – Bruce Springsteen
· Maar Chadapa – Heera
· *The Promised Land - Bruce Springsteen (Live on The National Mall, Washington, D.C. – November 11, 2014)
· Blinded By The Light – Bruce Springsteen
· Born To Run – Bruce Springsteen
· *I'll Stand By You – Bruce Springsteen (previously unreleased studio recording)
· *For You My Love – A.R. Rahman (new original song for film)
* Previously unavailable on an album.